Triphala powder, also known as Triphala churna, is a traditional Ayurvedic medication known for its laxative characteristics, but it also has several other health advantages, including the treatment of diabetes and increasing eye health. Ayurveda employs plant-based therapies to treat a variety of mental and physical ailments. It is an indigenous medical system that has been used for at least 5000 years. Triphala is an essential Ayurvedic medicine for balancing the forces that regulate the body. It’s made up of medicinal fruits which persists in a variety of medicinal properties.
Table of Contents
What is Triphala Churana?
Ayurvedic medicine Triphala Churna or powder is made by combining three therapeutic herbs: Amla, Haritaki, and Baheda. This concoction is acclaimed in traditional texts for its Rasayana characteristics, which treat a variety of ailments and restore youth. It contains nutrients, vitamins, and a variety of other nutrients that help to not only recover but also sustain excellent health. Triphala is best recognized for its digestive and bowel controlling qualities. However, it has numerous beneficial properties.
What does Triphala consist of?
All three Triphala constituents are processed and marketed in varying amounts in powder (Churna), capsule, or tablet form to manufacture these Herbal supplements. Triphala juice is also consumed by a large number of Indians for its healing properties.
Ingredients of Triphala
Amla, also known as Indian gooseberry, is an Indian fruit that has been utilised in Ayurvedic medicine since ancient times. It has been discovered to help decrease cholesterol and improve heart health. It’s high in vitamin C and amino acids, which support liver health. This fruit has also been discovered to have potent anti-cancer qualities that aid in the prevention of a variety of cancers. Amla has a cooling impact and aids in the pitta dosha’s harmony.
Haritaki is renowned in Ayurveda as a “kind of medicine” because of its potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities. It’s used to treat a variety of ailments, including liver illness, cardiovascular disease, stomach problems, and asthma. Haritaki is commonly used to cure constipation and other digestive problems. It has a warming effect and helps to balance the Vata Dosha.
Bibhitaki is another potent ayurvedic treatment with detoxifying and blood purifying characteristics that is used to treat a variety of ailments including diabetes, gout, and excess mucus development. It is amongst Ayurveda’s finest antibacterial and antiviral medicines. Bibhitaki is also a very effective brain tonic. It has a warming effect and aids in balancing the Kapha Dosha.
How to prepare Triphala at home?
- 80 grammes amla
- 40 grammes based
- Harad is a 20-gramme head.
- The procedure for creating this churn is quite basic and straightforward.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the proper proportions and thoroughly dry them.
- Once all of the components have dried, use a mortar and pestle to grind them into a fine powder one by one.
- Sieve the powder and thoroughly combine all of the powdered components.
- They should be kept in an airtight container.
Benefits of Triphala
Helpful in Weight Loss
Weight gain is among the most anticipated health issues, as well as the root of a slew of other issues. If you’re seeking a simple solution to manage your weight, Triphala may be able to assist you. The release of cholecystokinin in the system is aided by taking Triphala churna. Cholecystokinin is a chemical that stimulates the brain to instantly recognize when the belly is full. This leaves you feeling satiated while also making you feel fuller. To defend yourself from obesity, consume a spoonful of this churna 3 times a day with hot/lukewarm water. It’s also good for getting rid of tummy fat.
Digestive system betterment
Triphala is a digestive system saviour. It promotes the function of the liver and gallbladder and maintains the digestive tract healthful. It removes contaminants from the colon while also promoting toning, regeneration, and stool transit. It is a moderate and light laxative rather than a strong purgative. The best part is that it isn’t addictive. Ulcers, inflammations, haemorrhoids, and piles can all be helped by Triphala.
It has also been demonstrated in diabetes research to have hypoglycemic effects, which could be linked to its impact on insulin resistance. Triphala churna decreases the cellular barrier to insulin uptake and aids in effective insulin utilisation in cells. As a result, it is useful in treating diabetes mellitus.
Triphala is one of the most effective eyes health medicines. It is a highly efficient ayurvedic medicine for vision improvement. It also aids in the treatment of eye disorders such as glaucoma, cataracts, and infections. To relax the ocular nerves and retain clear vision, several ayurvedic eye remedies advocate Triphala eyewash. Triphala powder is also beneficial in the treatment of ‘computer screen syndrome.’ To use Triphala to clean your eyes, soak 2 tablespoons of the churn in hot water overnight, filter the water, and use it to cleanse your eyes the next morning.
Aids in the Healing of Wounds
Because the churna possesses antibacterial and anti-inflammatory characteristics, it helps in the treatment of various injuries and speeds up the healing process.
Efficacious in lowering blood pressure
Blood pressure that is too high or too low can cause a variety of health problems. Triphala, on the other hand, can help you maintain a healthy blood pressure level and so avoid a variety of health problems.
Hair Growth by Triphala
One of the main advantages of Triphala churna for hair is that it helps to stimulate hair growth. As a result, if you’re having trouble growing your hair, Triphala could be the answer. You could either take this herbal treatment or make a paste out of it by mixing it with water and applying it to your hair. Triphala contains emollient qualities that aid in the trapping of moisture and consequently the prevention of alopecia. Hair development can be aided by either topical treatment or oral ingestion.
Reduce puffy eyes and dark circles
Triphala can help with puffy eyes, dark circles, weary eyes, and other under-eye problems. You can use Triphala-based eyewash. This not only helps to decrease dark circles and puffiness but also promotes eye health.
Triphala helps to improve the lungs. It gets rid of phlegm and congestion. Its consumption alleviates symptoms of allergy symptoms such as teary eyes, sneezing, coughing, and so on. Triphala helps with eczema, boils, and other skin conditions by removing toxins from the bloodstream. It’s an excellent internal and exterior herbal blend for the eyes. It improves immunity as well as haemoglobin levels.
Triphala contains anti-inflammatory qualities that aid in the treatment of inflammatory bone diseases such as arthritis, gout, and joint problems. The buildup of uric acid is the primary reason for gout and arthritis. Triphala aids in the removal of excess uric acid from the bones as well as the reduction of inflammation. It also aids in the nourishment of the bones and promotes the production of a stronger bone structure.
Triglycerides & High Cholesterol
Triphala has a considerable effect on lipid profiles. Within a few weeks of treatment with Triphala Churna, there is a considerable fall in the value of serum cholesterol. It also lowers blood levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides.
Dizziness or vertigo
Triphala Churna can also help to alleviate vertigo and dizziness. Vertigo can be relieved by mixing Triphala powder with honey. Triphala therapy must be sustained for a week in severe situations.
Cures Bad Breath
Bad or unpleasant breath could be a turnoff as well as an embarrassment. With this wonderful churna, you may say goodbye to bad breath. To prevent bad breath, pour honey into the churn and taste the concoction. You could, on either hand, gargle with water containing a tablespoon of powder to prevent foul breath.
Rejuvenation of the skin
This churna contains antioxidants, which aid in the treatment of skin infections and the reduction of acne-causing germs. If you have rough or cracked skin, Triphala will prove to be very helpful because it contains a lot of moisturising qualities which keep your skin supple and moisturized.
Treats Urinary Tract Infections
Infections of the urinary tract could be difficult to treat with contemporary medicine because they are resistant to drugs. Alternative and traditional therapies are used by the majority of UTI patients. UTIs are extremely harmful since they can harm the kidneys as well as other organ systems. Triphala is amongst the most popular ayurvedic treatments for treating UTIs since it addresses the root reason of the infection and helps to eradicate it.
Triphala’s antioxidant and antifungal qualities aid in efficiently restoring scalp health. It treats infections on the skull which induce eczema, dandruff, and other skin conditions. It removes debris and grease from the scalp, which causes flaky, itchy, and flaky scalp. Triphala is a particularly powerful scalp cure because of all of these qualities.
Side effects of Triphala
- Triphala usage is not recommended during pregnancy. Triphala has a laxative effect, but the strength of the affects people differently. Moreover, it may function as a uterine stimulant, causing contractions and possibly resulting in miscarriage. Although this side effect is uncommon, pregnant women must avoid it.
- Triphala Churna can help to eliminate the colons in the system. It is a wonderful boon for constipation sufferers because it smooths the stool. However, if the dosage is exceeded beyond the authorised limit, diarrhoea will occur. Be aware that you may need to dash to the restroom from time to time.
- It is amongst the most typical negative effects associated with this herbal blend. Severe bloating and heaviness in the lower abdomen are common complaints. This scenario arises as a result of a person’s inability to digest large volumes of churna. Though this is not a major concern, it may affect your mood and interfere with your everyday routines.
- Indian Gooseberry, one of the ingredients in this churn, raises blood sugar levels in the body. If you suspect a rise in sugar levels, consult your doctor and avoid taking this medicine. Patients with diabetes are advised to avoid using this medication since it causes blood sugar levels to fluctuate.
- Because Triphala is a detoxifier, it releases toxins from our tissues, which can cause a variety of symptoms, one of which is a headache. This is not a cause for concern, and it will go away as soon as the body’s excess toxins are drained out.
- Nausea is yet another discomfort that arises when the contaminants in our bodies begin to be drained out. It will pass, much like a headache, and we must not be concerned. If your nausea symptoms persist after you’ve begun taking Triphala, you must take a break from it for a bit.
- Triphala is reported to influence the coagulation and working of platelets, thus anyone who is using anticoagulants or similar drugs should be especially cautious. In such circumstances, speak with your doctor about the potential side effects of combining your medications with Triphala.
- Itching, rashes, and skin eruptions are all possible side effects of Triphala. You shouldn’t be concerned if the problem goes away in a few days. If it doesn’t, see your doctor right away. If the skin troubles are only transitory, the first cleansing might be the issue. If this doesn’t seem to fade completely, you are most likely having an allergic response.
- When using Triphala for another reason, some people have reported having a sudden reduction in body weight. It’s usually due to the diarrhoea that Triphala causes. If the weight reduction is causing you a lot of discomforts, you must stop taking Triphala as early as possible.
- This herbal treatment may also aid babies, but only a sprinkle of the powder should just be given to them. It’s because too much Triphala could irritate your baby’s stomach and develop diarrhoea or other digestive problems.